What if Need to Make Changes to my Case?

It’s important to think carefully and do plenty of research before filing bankruptcy, especially when it comes to determining which chapter will benefit you most. Each document and piece of paperwork also requires close attention in order to avoid any mistakes that could be costly to your bottom line. I’ll guide you every step of the way and will review all aspects of your case, but there is still room for you to change filing decisions or to accidentally omit an asset or debt. If there are things you need to change about your case after you file, we’ll amend and resubmit the required forms to the court. You’ll then be able to move on from this hiccup and look forward to being debt free.

Missing Information

I pride myself on helping my clients to create a customized bankruptcy paperwork packet. It will include only the bankruptcy forms that you’ll need for your specific circumstances, and you can use the worksheets and checklists I provide to guide you and ensure that no information or documentation is missing. If any required documentation is omitted, such as forgetting a small debt or certain asset, we’ll need to amend your form(s). Small errors, such as transposing numbers, would also need to be corrected with an amended form. If you’ve experienced a major life change immediately after filing, we’ll need to let the court know. If you’ve had a drop or increase in income or have decided to file for divorce, these factors could dictate the outcome of your case and how income or assets are treated.

Submitting Paperwork

To ensure that the court knows how to correctly handle your case, any amendments will need to be made via a new completed form and an amendment cover sheet. Depending on where you live, you may be able to provide only the forms that have been revised, or you may need to resubmit your entire bankruptcy package. Any new forms will need to be marked “amended”, and you may also need to provide an explanation as to why the change has been made. I’ll ensure that the court trustee and any affected creditors receive copies of these new forms. Making amendments usually does not require a fee, unless you’re adding a new creditor to your case.

No Big Deal

While no one wants more paperwork to complete, which could delay your case, submitting amended forms is usually a simple process. If you’ve realized you need to make a bigger change to your case, such as converting from a Chapter 13 to a 7, we’ll talk about the required steps to make this possible, as well as the consequences. If we work together, we’ll still be able to have your debt taken care of in a timely manner, and you’ll be on your way to being debt free.